Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Case For Transparent Glitter


 AND


ARE TEAMING UP THE ENTIRE MONTH OF JUNE TO BRING YOU AN AMAZING CREATIVE COLLABORATION MIXING DREAMWEAVER STENCILS AND ART GLITTER. COME ALONG FOR THE RIDE...WE PROMISE IT WILL BE A SPARKLING ONE!

Visit the Art Glitter blog and the; Dream It Up! blog for fabulous inspiration from both talented design teams. We are encouraging all of you to play along with the challenge of creating with Dreamweaver Stencils and Art Glitter*, preferably using the Double-Glitter Technique with a wedding theme. Just link your creation to the Mr. Linky on the Dream It Up! blog, or email pics to lynell@dreamweaverstencils.com, for an opportunity to win one of four fabulous glitter and stencil prize packages. One winner will be chosen each week. (US and Canada only, please).

 

For more inspiration from the Art Glitter design team, please visit their blog for a complete list of players throughout the month.

Now here is my post:  The Case for Transparent Glitter
With all the flashy glitter out there (scroll down and see my last post for something REALLY flashy), you might wonder, why would you use transparent glitter?  I have two reasons.  One is if you want some of the original colors or image to show through.  The other is shown here:

You can color on transparent glitter.  Yes, I said color.  You can use any pigment ink, a stencil brush, and the Picasso Stencil LL 332.  But, I get ahead of myself.  Let me start at the beginning. 
First, you soap up the back of a really fantastic stencil.  This one is the gorgeous LJ 888 Hydrangea Stencil.  You brush off all of the "hanging chads" of soap.  Then, you put it soap side down on the exposed adhesive side of Double Sided Adhesive Paper.  Then, you fill it with really great transparent glitter.  I used Art Glitter Ultrafine Transparent 284 French Lilac in the purple parts and Art Glitter Ultrafine Transparent 287 Arbor in the green sections.  Why did I bother with a color if I am going to paint it anyway?  Well, you want a nice base color and don't want to push the glitter too far.  You need a great color showing through.  After the glitter was on, I left the stencil attached and used the Picasso Stencil LL 332 to mask off the areas that I did not want to paint on.  When you move the stencil around, you can use the edges to block off just about any area.  I used a stencil brush and Tim Holtz Adirondack Pigment Inks in Bottle, Stream, Purple Twilight and Eggplant.  After I got it to look the way I wanted it, I patted it with paper towel and carefully removed the paper from the stencil.  I placed the stencil face down on the table for this and lifted the paper off while I "walked" my fingers along the stencil.  I let it dry just a little (you know pigment inks.....) and covered it in Art Glitter Ultrafine Transparent 85 Crystal.  Then, I was done.  It was as simple as that.  I am hoping that you are inspired to enter a project yourself this week. 

For more inspiration from the Dream Team, here's the blog list for this week:


*For the month of June Art Glitter is selling 1 oz jars of glitter for $5.98 (regular price $7.32)! Get the deets HERE!;

9 comments:

  1. WOW Laura you have been busy this week. I love this card, maybe i"ll try this technique next week. I'm really inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to confess I've used Copic markers to touch up areas where the glitter was less than perfect, but you've taken this to a whole new level. The hydrangea is gorgeous, Laura, truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the hydrangeas this stencil is such fun to color. I love it and I love what you have done with it for this card. Most excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Liz, I color on my glitter all the time with my Copics...great for shading, etc. I love "watery" look and feel of this card, Laura! (Hanging chads of soap...hahahahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also with Pam & Liz, I teach Copic classes showing people how to shade and color glitter. Your Hydrangea is fabulous Laura!!! I hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous card! So pretty! and another stencil on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so beautiful...can't even tell you how amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful coloring on this Laura! Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete