Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thursday Dream Schemes--Blue and Orange Mother's Day Card

This week's challenge is a blue and orange Mother's Day Card. The colors seemed appropriate for me, as I have been feeling a little blue around Mother's Day since I lost my mother three years ago. Anyway, I really took my time on this one, while thinking about my mother.


The stencils I used included the now discountinued teacup stencil. (You can still get it if you ask your local store to order it for you.) I recently gave it away in a class, so if you are one of the folks that got it, you are all set already.

I used the regular paste with the teacup stencil. My paper choice is from the My Minds' Eye Stella and Rose Collection. I really like the MME papers because they are sturdy enough to take this much paste without too much warping. After pasting, I waited until it was dry. Then, I replaced the stencil, and brushed a little Weathered Wood Distress Ink on to create some shading. I then put the Cherry Blossom stencil over the top, leaving that teacup in place. I stencilled the image using one of my latest obsessions--Twinkling H2Os by Creative Imaginations. It is a shimmery watercolor paint that is loaded with mica. These paints need to be activated with a spritz of water a few minutes before you plan to use them. They are usually used a little wet, so I was concerned that they might migrate under the stencil. I used a Dreamweaver Blue Handled Stencil brush, which I daubed into the paint, touched on some paper towels, and stencilled onto that paste. Fortunately, the paste took the paint extremely well (that regular paste can take ALOT of things!) and very little travelled under the stencil. I used three different colors: Yellow Rose, Ginger Peach, and Burnt Umber. I tried to place these colors the best I could before removing the stencil. Then, I removed the stencil. Here is the best part: because the H2Os are a watercolor, I was able to remove any errors with a little water on my brush. I loved this complete control. I went in and added extra shimmer and color as I removed the parts I did not want. The ribbon was also painted with Twinkling H2Os. Finally, I added a rim around the top, bottom and handle with a gold Zig paint pen. The sentiment, by Inkadinkado for EK Success, was stamped with Chipped Sapphire Distress Ink. The MME papers were distressed with ink as well.

Well, here is wishing all the mothers out there a happy day and a great weekend. Check out my Dream Team Sisters' blogs while I consider what to make for next week's Free Week. ( You should consider playing along with us....)

5 comments:

  1. Laura, this turned out just lovely, you did a marvelous job with the Twinkling H2Os. I understand the "blue" feeling, I lost my mother about three years ago too, and my MIL this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that giant teacup. I recently used it too with the Stampee Crafts foiling technique. Is your new blog header a picture you just took? WHAT A fabulous picture. Great job. My husband has a fancy camera and can take pictures like that. I hope you are well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura...this is a lovely example of beautiful shading on your stenciling technique. Really great job of using a variety of mediums ...love it when people utilize their studio materials!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I totally sympathize with you on the mother issue. I lost mine twelve years ago, and of course, my MIL in January. Now, I'm the only MOM in our family. Love the teacup stencil with the H2Os. Great info on that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone. Wendy, I took the picture in California a couple years ago. (Admittedly, in a hummingbird house). I do really enjoy taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete