Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thursday Dream Schemes--Free Week

Happy Summer! This is my first blog post of a brand new summer, so I decided to show something fun and easy from my upcoming summer class.


The fish stencil shown here is actually discontinued--but never fear! If your local retailer does not have it in stock, they can still order it from Dreamweaver for you. It is stencil number LJ 848. If you are in the Brighton, Michigan area, I will be teaching a class at Scrap Tales twice in July and this stencil is INCLUDED in your class fee. Call the store to register.
Anyway, on to how I made this one. It is actually the easiest one in this class. The fish are a double glitter technique. You soap up the back of the stencil and attach it to the Double Sided Adhesive Paper. Then, you use three different colors of Microfine Art Glitter on the fish. I pinched the colors, one at a time, into the spaces and then used my VERY IMPORTANT art tool--my finger--to push them into the paper. This is critical with the microfine glitter because it is so light weight that it won't go down into the crevices on its own. When burnished like this, though, it creates a beautiful shimmering look.
When the fish are done, brush off any excess glitter. Brush it off well, mind you, because you don't want it to migrate to the areas that are supposed to be blue. Then, you put the whole thing stencil side down on a flat surface. You must remove the paper from the stencil while the stencil remains on the table. Slowly and carefully pull the double sided adhesive paper off while walking your fingers along the stencil to keep it flat.
Once you have removed the stencil, pour blue glitter over the top and gently rub it in with your fingers. (I used Art Glitter True Blue Ultrafine). Brush all remaining glitter off of your project.
The little shell charm was made with the Scallop LS 6 stencil. I used the ArtC clay. I believe it is a white paperclay. I smoothed the clay down on my craft sheet. Then, I put just a little vegetable oil on my finger and rubbed it lightly on the back of the stencil. I pushed the stencil onto the clay and rolled it slightly. Then, I removed the stencil and cut the excess clay around it. I rolled a little of it into a ball and draped the shell over the top to create dimension. I had to let this dry. I am really not good with patience, so I set it out to dry overnight. This sort of clay never dries hard, it always remains a little spongy. When it is dry, use a craft knife to put a little hole in the top.
The assembly is easy. The base is blue and is followed by Core'dinations White Wash in yellow that has been lightly sanded and ripped. The twine is from My Mind's Eye Lime Twist collection. See? An Easy summer card.
So now that you have a summer greeting from me, you should go check out all the rest of the Dreamweaver Design Team creations. Get inspired. Create. Then post a link to the Dreamweaver Blog. See you next week.

6 comments:

  1. Laura I love this card, Iwish I was close so I could come and take this class. It has such a pretty look with all that glitter and the colors are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute card and I love that stencil! I would love to see this card in person as photo usually doesn't due glitter justice. I too wish I could take this class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful card for summertime. Wish I lived close enough to join your class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Laura. Each fish with a dash of glitter. Your patience is a amazing. Wouldn't it be nice if all we had to do was travel the country taking each other's classes. I will keep buying lottery tickets. I hope your class goes well and enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the shimmery, colorful fish, and how you created your own shell charm! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooohhh, FABULOUS charm! Thanks for sharing how you did it!

    ReplyDelete