Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thursday Dream Schemes--Sketch Challenge and a New Stencil!

This week's sketch was chosen by Lee. I always admire her for her southwestern style creations. This sketch had that sort of feel as well. I could almost see the desert and mountains in the image.





So, here is my take on the sketch. I got special permission from Lynell to sneak this new stencil. Never fear, it will be out VERY soon. You can see that I enlarged the primary image and, because of that, really didn't have the room to mat it with those torn mats. I also moved it to the other side of the card. That decision was based on the direction that the bird was facing. I would like to think that I kept the spirit of the sketch by using layers of torn tissue paper, stacked and glued with a glue stick. I chose the colors because I wanted to invoke the feeling of a sunset. I reflected the glitter in the tissue paper to make it appear as if the sun was setting behind mountains.


As for the technique, I used Double Glitter. This time, I did it with a twist. Sometime, somewhere, I saw one of my Dream Team Sisters using double glitter with embossing powder. I chose to do the same here, to keep the raven black and glitter the "sunset" in the background. I first soaped the back of the stencil and applied it to the Double Sided Adhesive Paper. Then, I poured detail black embossing powder over the whole thing and pressed it down with my fingers. When I was sure that I had it well pressed in, I turned the stencil over and gave it a good flick. I carefully removed the paper, laying the whole thing stencil side down on the table, and peeling the paper off of the stencil. Then, I heat embossed it. I poured layers of colored glitter on the background to imitate the sunset. This time, I did not use Art Glitter, but instead the Woodware UK glitter that I brought home with me.


Check out how the other Dream Teamers have interpreted this sketch. I have reorganized my blog to make it easier to find everyone. Enjoy the creations and, most of all, feel inspired!

7 comments:

  1. WOWZERS!! Fabulous Laura!!! Love Thursdays so I can see all the fabulousness that has been rolling around in my Design Team sisters heads all week!!!! I hope you are having a fabulous week and I hope we can get together soon. You have good mojo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Laura! I haven't tried the embossing powder with the mounting paper yet, but I love how dark your bird turned out with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rainbow effect behind this guy...it really makes him POP! Great job on this card. We will be starting to ship this new set of designs soon, so glad you are teasing people with our new raven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura I love hte colors in this card and the raven has become one of my favorite stencils already I planning on using it in my Man Cards class.
    You always turn out such great cards I wait all week to see shat youv'e done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the contrast of the embossed black raven with the sparkly glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it as always...I am still skitish about the new designs..glad you did the wether vein!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This card leaves me speechless! There is so much going on (color wise). The new stencil has so many possibilities and the glitters really make it stand out. Those layers at the bottom remind me of flames. VERY INTERESTING!

    ReplyDelete