Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursday Dream Schemes--Color Challenge, Brown, Blue and Cream


This week's color challenge was blue, brown and cream.

I am working on a spring Dreamweaver Class for Scraptales, and one thing I have wanted to do for awhile was use this bare branch stencil LJ 900, that came out for Christmas, as a spring card. Ever since I initially saw this stencil, I thought of how versatile it was. With just a few flowers, it would be a different look. With a brown branch, blue sky, and cream blossoms, it would fit the color challenge well.
I used the regular white embossing paste on My
Mind's Eye paper from the Sophie collection. I know that this paper seems a little busy for a stencilling background, but to me it seemed quite appropriate. Not only were the colors perfect for the challenge, but when you think about branches in nature, you almost never see them with a simple sky background. They are usually viewed with other branches behind them.
At this point, you can barely see the main branch.
When the paste was dry, I replaced the stencil and pulled out my Versamarker. It is a clear watermark and embossing fluid in a marker form. I ran it over the branch parts that I wanted brown. I then removed the stencil, poured Chocolate Zing Embossing Powder over the top. It, of course, stuck only to the areas where I used the marker. I heat set the powder. I repeated the process with the word Spring on cream cardstock. Then, I echo cut the word and mounted it on dark blue. I cut around it again.


The flowers were punched out of two colors of cream cardstock with two different punches. I glued the smaller flowers on some of the "berries" of the original branch. I then stitched the larger flowers on the remainder. Each got only one stitch through the center, and I attached a seed bead to hold it in place. I was amazed at how well the needle slid through the white paste.

I felt that the card needed a little bit of color, so I used Egyptian Gold Luminarte Twinkling H2Os and brushed a little on each of the flowers. I popped the word up on foam, mounted the card on cardstock and the flip side of the paper, and then bent the flower petals up to add a three dimensional effect.

8 comments:

  1. This is fabulous Laura! A lot of work, but the finished product is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodess Laura...Mission complete. You did a fantastic job with making this a Spring image. Awesome!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowee...Laura, this looks like a lot of work! And gorgeous too. Thanks for all your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely GORGEOUS! I love it! I think I might make my own, just so I can stare at it everyday! Beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fabulous card! Those flowers must have taken you forever, but are soooo worth it. Love the tip of gold on the edges. Can't believe you had such perfect paper to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what can I say...over achiever!!! I love it. I love when I find the perfect paper for a card or page! You rocked it, as usual!!! GREAT JOB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible!! I can't imagine how long it took you to punch, sew and paint all those flowers. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really wasn't nearly as hard as everyone thinks. I promise. I the punching didn't take long, the painting was minimal, and it only took one stitch for each of the big flowers. Will I use it as a card for 200 people? No, probably not--but it wasn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete