Thursday, May 26, 2011

Dreamweaver Free Week--Two Cards, One Theme


Aren't you always in need of masculine cards? I know I am. Well, partially this is because I can't keep my hands off of the glitter (more on that later.....an announcement at the end of the post) and the flowers. Neither a particularly masculine item. I think I can also blame the manufacturers, though. Not too many of them make masculine products. Lynell has come to the rescue with the tie stencil (LG 735). I used it, the stripe stencil (LX 7002) and the Happy Birthday stencil (LM 248) to make this card for Dreamweaver.



I first pasted the tie with the original white paste. Then, I pasted the Happy Birthday in glossy black. After the paste was dry, I stencilled a little Distress ink in Antique Linen under the collar and Mustard all across the tie. Then, I placed the stipe stencil on the tie, angling it to match the bottom edge of the tie, and stencilled it with Adirondack Pigment Ink in Denim. After that dried, I replaced the tie stencil, covered the whole tie with Versamark and embossed it with clear powder. Finally, I determined the shape and angles of the suit and cut it from a beautiful piece of Graphic 45 Proper Gentleman paper. I finished up the card with inking and brads, photographed it, and sent it off.


Fast forward a couple of months, and I am thinking that I would like to use this card in a class. Of course, we have run out of the Graphic 45 paper, and never did carry the brads. Additionally, we only have one of these birthday stencils in stock. I was thinking that I could also stand to cut a little time from the overall class...........So, this is what I came up with:




Okay, so this is how I solved my problems: I switched the stencil to the Birthday Words (LG 704), I replaced the paper with one from the Pebbles Mr and Mrs line, and I changed the tie color, stencil, embossing project to just stencilling on a colored piece of paper and cutting it out. This last part will shorten my time considerably, since there is no waiting for the ink to dry between steps. I just stencilled on the yellow paper with Aged Mahogany Distress Ink and replaced the tie stencil, tracing the inside lightly with pencil and cutting it out. Then I glued it on with Art Glitter Dries Clear. Notice I removed the brads from the card, saving me time, money, and aggrevation, as Scrap Tales never did carry that particular brad. This decision, believe it or not, really troubled me. I kept trying to find a replacement for the brads until I finally just gave up.


The assembly is pretty much the same. I did take awhile to figure out the changes needed to make this card more appropriate for class, but once I worked it out, I liked it. I think I might like it better than the original. Of course, it is now time for you to make the changes that you want to on it. Also, check out my Dream Team Sisters Blogs for their projects today. (The blogs are listed on the left).


Oh, and about that glitter comment, anyone who knows me understands that I often walk around leaving a trail of glitter in my wake. My favorite brand is, of course, Art Institute Glitter. Therefore, it is quite a thrill for me to have been selected to be a guest blogger for June, July and August on the Art Glitter Blog. (Blinkie and link to follow as soon as I get it). You have heard it here first, folks, as Art Glitter hasn't announced the names yet, and I am posting here before Facebook this time. I hope to catch you over there some time this summer, too. I will still be here every week though, so keep coming back for your Dreamweaver fix.

4 comments:

  1. ooohhhandawwwe!!! Laura! This are neato! Especially love how you made those ties POP! And will look for your postings on the ARt Glitter blog this summer...remind us again when you post if you remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing you thoughts on re-designing a card for teaching purposes. Both cards are great, Laura. And once students know the steps involved in card #2, they can always make Card #1 on their own. Truly a sign of a good teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've loved that pinstriped suit card from the first, but your second version is every bit as wonderful! Thanks for sharing the details on how you changed it up to "suit" what you had on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ties, love them both! How exciting about ArtGlitter!

    ReplyDelete