Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Vintage Magenta Poinsettia



For this week's post, I am going back to one of my absolute favorite things to do--metal work.  I started with the Poinsettia Stencil LG700.  I really love this stencil because it is very versatile.  Today, I used it with fuschia coated Mercart aluminum.  I placed the metal face up on top of my face up stencil and ran it through my Cuttlebug machine.  The "sandwich" for the Cuttlebug is A Plate, stencil, metal, a  Details Rubber Embossing Mat, and two B Plates.  When it came out of the machine, it was lightly debossed.  I then used my Mercart Teflon tool from the basic tool kit on top of the metal to sharpen up around the edges of the wells in the stencil.  I then sanded the metal with the stencil still attached.  I accidentally sanded into some of the wells, but it created an opportunity.  I dropped some Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in Wild Plum in the damaged areas.  It created a lovely shadow effect.  After I inked the holes, I finished sanding the project to reveal the silver aluminum color.  I then pulled the metal out of the stencil and dropped some gems into the holes by the "seed" area.  Lastly, I assembled the card and was finished. 
I love this project because it reminds me of the Christmas tree that I had as a child.  We used to have a white tree with pink lights and ornaments and silver tinsel.  We would coordinate the poinsettias with the tree whenever possible. To this day, I love the vintage look of a magenta poinsettia.

Want to get into the holiday spirit a little early? Link your own Christmas in August creations to the Dream It Up! blog mr. linky, or email pics of your creations to lynell@dreamweaverstencils.com, for an opportunity to win this wonderful newly released Heart Ornaments:


Don't you just love this new design? There are several newly released stencils and products from CHA last month, which you can view for yourself HERE. During the week of August 20th - 25th, the Dream Team will be posting all week with a hop on Saturday to top it all...featuring all of these new fabulous designs...in collaboration with the Woodware UK team. Just a little hint...you may want to buy all of these new designs now, so you are ready and waiting for the inspiration that will come your way that week! Meanwhile, check out what the rest of the team has been creating this week:

8 comments:

  1. This is just gorgeous Laura! Love the reversed debossed Magenta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your metal work is absolutely gorgeous! Love it, too, when "accidentally created opportunities" provide such beautiful results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card would go perfectly with one of those bright pink metal trees from the 50's! What a fun color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Laura! You do such good metal work, I always enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful Laura! You do amazing work with the metal, I need to practice more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love your embossed metal pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that color! Beautiful work Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is outstanding! seriously I love it and I'm pinning it now!!

    ReplyDelete